Thursday, January 29, 2009

good trade-off

Five days ago we buckled the kids up in the car and made our way out to my daughter and son-in-law's new home, their very first place as home owners. She didn't know it, but the entire drive there I felt like I was about to cry, it would be the very last day that any of her family would live with us and it pinched my heart just a tiny bit.
No more nightly bedtime hugs and kisses from the grandbabies, no more listening to them giggle hysterically upstairs, or rumble around until I thought the floor would fall through.
It's a good trade off though, they are in a wonderful new home in a terrific kid-friendly neighborhood. There's a big park with a baseball diamond across from them where they will spend countless summer days, I'm sure!
They are all happy and safe and at such a good place in their lives. My daughter is content for the first time in a very long time, her smile is real and sunshine radiates from that beautiful smile. I can't even express how proud I am of her and the wonderful young woman and mama she has become.
So for now, I will settle for bedtime phone calls from those little boys that melt my heart, telling me all about how their day went and what they did in school today. Making kissy noises and telling me "I love you Nana!".

21 people had this to say:

Jennifer said...

Tiff,

Indeed it is a good trade off!

Tracy said...

How blessed you are to have shared such a precious time with them. They will always have special memories at Nana's house. I'm so happy for your daughter. She's blessed too to have you!

sara said...

seems like a very good tradeoff!!

Brenda Susan said...

Hi Tiffany, I found you thru Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee. I enjoy what I'm reading so far. I don't have grandkids but I'm ready for them! Seeing your adult kids move on to lives of their own can defintely be a mixed emotions thing, can't it? It is a beautiful thing to be proud of our grown kids.

From A Creative Heart said...

Hey Sweet Tiff...
You have made some wonderful memories with them...and this is just a great new chapter for all of you..
Hugs to you!!
Debbie

Unknown said...

Oh, Tiff,

I feel for you, but glad they found a nice place. You'll just have to make extra trips there.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure they will remember their time at your house fondly - and that's the best!

Anonymous said...

Glad your daughter found a nice place for her family. You have every reason to be proud. Try not to miss them too much

Maggie May said...

this is really sweet, Tiff. it's so hard to imagine my kids moving off

Ellen said...

What a sweet post, Tiff. I know that was a bittersweet ride for you!

Tiffany said...

When I pulled back into my drive-way, all I kept thinking was "Wow, that was weird" referring to the whole 9 month experience! LOL

whitey said...

It is all ways rewarding to see your children do good! But I can see how you are going to miss them.

annh said...

oh, Tiff, I know how you feel.Our daughter and her family lived with us a few months while they hunted for their new home, after selling their home...I felt so homesick for them after they moved out, but a few years later(the children were grown by then and out on their own) we sold our home in Houston, and stayed with our Daughter for a couple of months, while we looked for our home, about 8 minutes from them, so what "goes around, comes around", a saying in Texas..

david said...

Hey there! I feel ya. At least they aren't moving out of state like they were planning. You could always quit your job and move in with her you old mooch, haha.

Tiffany said...

ROFL, funny you would say that, there's a handicap ramp out front and I told Bryan to be nice or I'd come live with them in my old age! Which, from the way I feel lately, isn't too far away haha

LA Nickers said...

My grandbaby lives across the US from us . . . .

Thank God for webcams and emails.

;-)

Blessings,
Linda

HEART OF A READY WRITER – Reading Through the Bible in 2009

Growin' With It said...

oh come on. you mean it gets worse with grandkids. you sound like the best NANA ever.

Rebecca Jo said...

What a good Nana you are...

binks said...

Tiffany - how sad and exciting all at the same time. So great that they only live a car ride away.

Unknown said...

awwwww this was such a heartfe;lt post...I am happy for your daughter

Nan said...

DARN YOU!!! Stop it, you're making me teary eyed!

 
design by suckmylolly.com